Magnolia Woods Subdivision
The Magnolia Woods community was established in the early 1950s on land that was formerly part of Mount Hope Plantation. The neighborhood is comprised of 16 filings developed between 1952 and 1996 and many of the streets are named after members of the developers’ families, including Albert Hart, Baird, Kimbro, Laurel Lea and Maxine.
When development of Magnolia Woods began, Mount Hope Plantation was located far outside the city limits, and the furthest subdivision located down Highland Road was a cluster of streets at Sunset Boulevard. Staring Lane was a gravel lane, which contained a pond near the present corner of Baird and Menlo. Albert Hart Drive was the first filing developed (October 1952), followed within the year by Magnolia Woods and Kimbro.
Magnolia Woods is noted for its large lots and magnificent trees. Although Hurricanes Andrew in 1992 and Gustav in 2008 took their toll on the neighborhood’s extensive tree canopy, the association has worked diligently to repair the damage through a reforestation project that encourages residents to plant storm-resistant native trees in sites where they can thrive. The neighborhood’s shady streets and close proximity to natural areas such as Bluebonnet Swamp, Bayou Fountain, Dawson Creek, and the Walden Lakes are the perfect place to walk and bike, and a natural draw for wildlife.